What is Handmade Certified’s purpose?
Handmade Certified provides Etsy buyers confidence that they are purchasing authentic handmade products. Handmade Certified provides Etsy sellers a proactive solution to the plague of “resellers”.
Why does Handmade Certified exist?
“Resellers” is a generic term Etsians use to describe a seller that “resells” factory or commercial goods that are sold under the guise of handmade. This problem has been magnified by recent scandals and an article by the Wall Street Journal. Handmade Certified is a proactive way to gain assurance that the goods you purchase are indeed handmade. Both Etsy customers and sellers deserve positive assurance regarding their transactions.
How does Handmade Certified help Etsy sellers?
Etsy sellers benefit from increased customer trust levels, differentiation from other Etsy sellers, and adding authenticity to their business. After the three part certification process, Etsy sellers will be given access to graphics that can be used in product picture listings and the Etsy About page. This certification gives your customers confidence to shop with you over other Etsy sellers.
How does Handmade Certified help Etsy customers?
When you see this certification badge, and have verified an Etsy seller has an active Handmade Certified membership, you have the confidence that you are not buying a handmade knock-off! Handmade Certified provides confidence, assurance, and authenticity to the Etsy buying experience.
What does the certification process consist of?
The Handmade Certified Assessment is made up of 3 parts:
- Handmade Declaration Statement – A signed statement declaring your handmade creations and adherence to Etsy policies. This provides 1st party assurance. “I am handmade.”
- Handmade Association Agreement – A signed agreement to help monitor handmade authenticity among other Handmade Certified members. This provides 2nd party assurance. “We are handmade.”
- Handmade Validation Survey – A twenty-two question survey providing evidence and details surrounding the handmade process, products, and artist that is reviewed and verified by Handmade Certified. This provides 3rd party assurance. “They are handmade.”
These three levels of certification provide assurance to customers that a product is indeed handmade – not a mass-produced knockoff.
Can I see what makes up the certification assessment?
Below you can see a few screen shots of the Handmade Certification Assessment.
Who runs Handmade Certified?
Handmade Certified is powered by Handmadeology.com and the Handmadeology team.
How do I report a violation of a Handmade Certified member?
Click on the orange “Report a Violation” button on Handmade Certified and complete the form documenting the handmade violation you believe you see. Handmade Certified will then be notified and investigate all legitimate reports following the investigation process as dictated in the Handmade Certified Association Agreement located in the certification assessment.
How do I cancel my membership of Handmade Certified?
If you need to cancel your Handmade Certified Membership the following walk-through will help.
How do I verify an Etsy seller is certified?
First, you should see this picture in an Etsy seller’s listing and/or their about page. Visit HandmadeCertified.com and search for the Etsy seller by typing the Etsy seller’s name. You should see their shop in the Handmade Certified Directory. If you don’t see their name, this seller does not have an active membership status and is not currently certified. If you find an Etsy seller using the Handmade Certified badge without permission please report the violation using the orange “Report Violation” button.
How do I become a certified Etsy seller?
- Sign for a certification package up (here) to take the Handmade Certification Assessment through PayPal.
- Create a login at Handmade Certification and update your account and create your directory listing.
- Complete the Certification Assessment.
- Download the Certification Badge graphics and Certification Tips EBook and give your customers confidence.
There are three ways you can become a member of Handmade Certified:
- Monthly Membership – $2.00 per month
- Annual Membership – $20.00 per year
- Lifetime Membership – $50.00 one-time cost
Proactively provide confidence to your customers that you items are handmade!